I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Random Factoids About...Writing

The longest one syllable word is screeched

11% of the people in the world are left-handed

No word in the English language rhymes with month

Source


The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed

Of all the words in the English language, the word 'set' has the most definitions

"Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order

Source

18 comments:

Nicole Zoltack said...

Huh... those are really interesting. I never knew any of those.

Karen said...

Ooh I like these kind of facts, though I'm kind of surprised the percentage of left handed people is so low!

Unknown said...

The left handed bit interested me, I was born that way and as I'm so old, I come from a time when I was forced use my left hand. Now I'm hopelessly lost. :-)

Liz P said...

I love stuff like this. Thanks!

PK HREZO said...

ok, Cliff Clavin. LOL! I love this kinda stuff too. Also, did you know the longest word you can type using only the first row of letters on a keyboard is TYPEWRITER. Yep, I'm a Cliff Clavin myself. :)

Denise Covey said...

There is also no English word to rhyme with 'orange' or 'silver.' Thanks for these facts..:)

Joanna St. James said...

hey L'aussie I think cleaver rhymes with silver am stll thinking the rest up. the percentage for us ambidextrous types might be lower then.
thanx for the info by brain is churning now

Bast said...

Interesting facts!

Colene Murphy said...

Ha! Love em. Neat facts~

Hart Johnson said...

teehee--love little word nerd facts...

Kari Marie said...

Love these. Must file away for stimulating conversation later.

Golden Eagle said...

I didn't know any of those before . . . I love it!

Unknown said...

Cool :-)

Melissa Gill said...

What do you know. Very interesting

Lydia Kang said...

These were so interesing!
I guess I won't use "month" in my next rhyming poem.
:P

Julie Musil said...

Now those were some fun facts!

Rachael Harrie said...

Thanks heaps for your comments guys. I might do this type of post here and there for everyone's enjoyment :)

Rach

Anonymous said...

Totally random, but along the same line: Facetiously is the only word to use all the vowels- including y- in alphabetical order.

Related Posts with Thumbnails