I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Monday, November 8, 2010

Logline Critiques, What Fun (And a Contest)!!!

I got such great input on my logline during the Second Logline Critique Session over at Miss Snark's First Victim that I've offered up my blog for those 25 entrants to have another go, in preparation for the December Baker's Dozen Auction (woot!). And to all my fabulous followers, keep reading 'cause I'm throwing in a little logline bonus prize of my own as well...

Second Logline Critique Session 

Anyone who entered Authoress's Second Logline Critique Session is welcome to submit their revised logline on Rach Writes... for another round of critiquing. To my followers, feel free to review and comment if you wish, though please don't feel obliged to do so.

Those original entrants who would like their revised loglines posted for critique should email me at rachael[dot]harrie[at]gmail[dot]com by Wednesday, November 10, 2010. Please include in the email your title, genre, and number as assigned by Authoress PLUS your original logline AND your revised logline. That way we can easily see the changes you've made.

I'll post the critiques by their original numbers, each in a separate post, on Thursday, November 11, 2010. Original entrants, please comment on and critique as many of the revised loglines as you can, so everyone gets input on their revisions.

Can't wait to see what everyone has come up with!


A little logline critiquing contest for my fantastic followers

I know some of you tried out for Authoress's logline critiquing sessions but didn't get in. And others of you may have a few sentences lying in your computer folders that haven't yet seen the light of day. So, cause you all rock, I'm going to give away 3 logline critiques to 3 of you awesome peeps.

For this contest, loglines can be either one or two sentences (though keep in mind they are most often required to be one sentence). They can be for completed work or WIP. You don't need to be planning to enter the Baker's Dozen Auction either - it often helps to draft your logline soon after you start your WIP, so you can refer to it and keep yourself on track.

This contest is open to anyone who is a follower on Rach Writes... (ie your avatar appears under Followers on my sidebar). I'll pick the winners on Saturday, November 13, 2010. Leave me a comment in this post to enter, including your points and links. +2 for old followers, +1 for new followers, +3 for Tweeting, +5 for blogging about this contest.

Can't wait to see who wins!

15 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

This is such a good idea but I am currently log-line-less right now!

PK HREZO said...

I tried to make this second logline contest and just missed it. I have one ... should I post it here in comments???

I'll check back. :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I'm working on revisions and if I come up with a log line I'll for sure pop over. I'm needing to think here a bit!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love yours, and I'm a happy new follower!

Stina said...

You are totally awesome, Rachael. Love the idea of including both the before and after versions. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, but I'm bringing my laplop with me. I'm not blogging, but I'll definitely participate/crit. :D

DJ said...

You are a doll!!!

Huntress said...

This is another example of our wonderful community of writers.

Truly, this is amazing.

Rachael Harrie said...

@Lydia, thanks so much :) You've got a few days to come up with one if you still want to take part ;)

@PK, sorry you missed out on the MSFV critique session :( In terms of my logline contest, either post your logline in the comments or else just sign up and leave your details - I thought some people might not be comfortable/ready to post their loglines on the web, so I'm happy just to deal with the winners by email if they prefer :)

@Jen, thanks for following :) There's no need to have your logline ready to sign up for my critique contest, you can email it to me if you win (which will give you a few days to tweak) ;)

@Stina, thanks! Great you can still join in. I noticed the other day you were going on holidays and was hoping you didn't miss it :)

@DJ (*blushes*)

Rachael Harrie said...

@Huntress, it is such a great community! So glad I can do my part :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

Awesome. Just sent you my revised logline to your email. :)

Trish Esden said...

Thank you for doing this. You're the greatest.

Laura C. said...

Hi Rach, I stopped by MSFV's blog and she mentioned you! I couldn't believe I knew you -- you're a star and so kind to offer this chance to others.

Rachael Harrie said...

@Nicole and @Pat, cool, received both thanks :)

@Laura, hey, great to hear from you! Thanks so much :)

Unknown said...

I'd like to participate but not sure I understand the points system....or how to enter. (Hi! I'm new! LOL)

Adina West said...

Condensing the essence of an entire novel down into one clear and concise sentence is a difficult task. I don't have a logline to enter, but good luck all!

PK HREZO said...

Cool! Just email me and I'll email it over. :)

pakazo77@gmail.com

Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails