I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Write Hope - 見ぬが花

Over the weekend, Marieke wrote an incredibly moving post for Write Hope - I wanted to share it with you today. I must admit, it brought a tear to my eye when I read her words...

There is a Japanese saying that reads 見ぬが花 (みぬがはな). Minu ga hana. Not seeing is a flower. It means something along the lines of reality being unable to compete with imagination.

These last few weeks I've lived and breathed Write Hope. I was so nervous when the first auction went up, and I saw it grow beyond our imaginations. We've raised a couple of thousand dollars already and we are fast on our way to raise more. As I said in the wrap-up post, there's a lot of fun to be had with the bidding, but at the same time I'm sure no one forgets who we're doing it for.

At this halfway point, I can't help but feel a little reflective. Watching this grow from the wings has taught me a lot. About hope. About how imagination can beat reality and how sometimes reality rises up to meet the challenge. About humility. About life. And invariably, about writing.

Some things - like raising a book - take a village, but when we come together as a community we can move mountains. This community is amazing, with extra glitter, in doing so and I'm honored to be part of that. Speaking for myself, organizing isn't the hard part, it's only the logical thing to do. But almost all of you have replied immediately wanting to help out, and you are all so generous with time, donations, bids, promotion. Reading all the mails coming in is a rollercoaster of emotions, as I keep bouncing between grinning like mad and tears in my eyes.

One day, when I'm no longer in the dreaded query trenches, but further down the road to my dream goal, I hope to be able to pay that feeling forward from the other side. Although it would be even better if it was never necessary again, but it's a comfort to know there'll always be hope.

Not seeing is a flower. As a writer, most of the time I agree. This week, however, I think our bubble of reality turned out to be a garden.

Here's to next week being even more magnificent!



I do so agree. I've mentioned it before, but it can never be said too many times. I think this writing community of ours is AWESOME!!! And I'm so glad to be a part of it.

12 comments:

Michael Di Gesu said...

Well said, Rach.

We are an amazing community!

Carrie said...

Beautiful post! I am so grateful to be a part of this writing community. It makes the world seem like a better place :)

Marieke said...

<3 Thanks Rach! (And yeah, I'm totally sneaking this in from Write Hope account ;-) )

Carrie, I completely agree. It does.

Unknown said...

What an inspiring post! Great way to start my day. Thanks!

Best of luck with Write Hope!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It was truly beautiful and worth tucking away forever.

Ciara said...

Hi, Rach. You've done a great job with the crusade. I love your blog so much I've given you the Lovely Blog award. Go to www.ciaraknight.com for more details. Congratulations on a job well done!

Alleged Author said...

Reaching for the tissues right now. Thank you for sharing this moving piece with us!

Golden Eagle said...

That's such a beautiful post. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post - it's nice to see the inspiring moments at times like these. (Also, unrelated to this, wanted to let you know I finally figured out how to post the badge on my blog, and the link works! Yeah. Slow learners sometimes figure things out, eventually.)

Marieke said...

Aw, you guys <3

Unknown said...

That was a very moving post. It was awe inspiring. :)

Amanda Milner said...

Beautiful, Marieke. ☺ When I read this for the first time I had the biggest smile on my face! I could pratically feel my heart swelling with a deep admiration for everyone who banded together to help and with pride for having the honor to be a part of this community. So many awesome people!

Related Posts with Thumbnails