I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Monday, March 21, 2011

Interview with Luna (Project Fraeya)

Today I'm interviewing Luna from Project Fraeya, a Crusader and a lovely lady who I'm glad to call a friend (except when she calls me nasty names that are completely undeserved! :P). I thought I'd ask her some questions so you can all get to know her better. And keep an eye out for the artwork in this post, she drew it all herself!!!

1. Tell us who you are (let's make this challenging, I'll give you ten words exactly *grins*)

I strive to be peculiar, loyal, book obsessive and honest.

2. Your blog name is "Project Fraeya" - does it have any meaning?

*evil grin* yup and that's a secret between me and myself and will be revealed...

3. What are your passions in life?

This is hard, books are obvious but I am *cough* slightly obsessed with dance. I can't actually dance but it doesn't stop me watching it: Ballet, Ballroom, Hip Hop, Jazz I don't really care what. I flew to Philadelphia in 09 to see the DWTS tour, only to top that by flying 5000 miles to Las Vegas to see the SYTYCD* tour last year. (On both occasions I ended up in the same hotel as the cast – that was freaky.)

Before that I spent almost an entire year travelling to London every month to watch Musicals, over and over. I still try to see as many as possible but can't afford London very often. :( I love concerts... you know I think the best answer is that my passion is making memories. I'll pick those over stuff any time. When I'm old and grey I can look on these years and I will always always smile.

*We were going to Vegas anyway, we just flew 3 days earlier... 

4. Tell us about your current WIP(s)

I've got two on the go:

One which I carefully planned and storyboarded called Quarantined. A post apocalyptic / dystopian story about a young media intern called Troy who unlocks an SOS originating from Blackpool, a coastal town that has been quarantined for the last 5 years and according to every official report has no survivors.

My other WIP doesn't really have a title as its MC only started haunting me this month, her name is Bree and she's got a ghost on her shoulder which happens to be a Shinigami (death spirit) that uses Bree to do her work. I haven't even tried to storyboard it as I'm writing as I go (which is scary) but had 5000 words within the first 3 days. I haven't really had the chance to work on it since then.

5. I'm absolutely amazed at how well you draw! You drew these gorgeous pictures of Nozomi we're using for Write Hope, and so much else (*gazes around this blog post*). However did you learn to draw like that???

*blushes* why thank you. I think of them as doodles... I never learned it anywhere, I just have this tendency to draw on notepads at work while being stuck on phones. Manga/Anime was a big thing while I was growing up so I copied and then started doing my own thing. I struggle drawing “real” people and I haven't really been doing a lot of drawing since the last time I did something for charity.

6. What piece of writing advice do you think is the most important?

Get the right kind of help... the amount of stuff I've learned from my writing buddy and critique partners is invaluable. The thing is, you need to pick people who either match or complement you. There is no point in having a crit-partner who doesn't read the stories you write. While my writing buddy has a different style we have enough similarities to be able to help each other. And the differences there are, are what also brings a new viewpoint when crit-ing each other.

Yes you are the one writing and editing and re-writing but without help I think it's a lot harder because you can't always see that needs to be seen. (I'm channelling my inner philosopher here >.<)

7. Chocolate or cupcakes?

Chocolate, always chocolate. I don't actually like cake all that much... I'll eat it to be polite but even when I was little I never got excited about birthday cakes. I was more excited about the my mum making quiche LOL.

8. Anything else you'd like to add?

Write Hope
Yes please, please, pretty please with sugar and icing and a cherry on top visit Write Hope. All of us there have been working hard to get everything organised for the charity auctions starting today and there is some awesome stuff in there; signed copies of If I Stay/Where She Went (ARC), first chapter critique by Tessa Gratton (increasing to additional chapters) plus a signed copy of Blood Magic, signed ARC of Memento Nora, Haven prize pack, a critique of your first twenty pages by Carrie Harris and the mystery box plus so much more....

Rach: And it's for such a good cause - Save the Children emergency disaster relief in Japan

I loved finding out more about you Luna, thanks so much for stopping by!

If you haven't popped over to Project Fraeya yet, hie thee over and meet Luna where she usually hangs out :)

30 comments:

Heather said...

Luna sounds like a blast! I love dance too (and totally cannot dance). Her drawings are excellent! I'm off to check out Write Hope. Nice meeting you Luna!

Michelle Merrill said...

Great interview! It was fun getting to know more about her. I love her pictures of Nozomi!

Anonymous said...

Impressive having 2 WIP's on the go! :O)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Rachel! Luna's WIPs sound wonderful. Her artwork is beautiful!!

KM Nalle said...

Oh! Luna's artwork is lovely. :)
What a great interview. I wonder if she would tell us what her favorite musical is?

Vicki Tremper said...

Thanks for the opportunity to get to know Luna better! I am also an avid dance fan and love both DWTS and SYTYCD. I have never seen the tours, but those are must-see TV for me.

Your wips sound awesome. Hope to read them someday!

Kerri Cuev said...

It was nice to get to know you better Luna. I LOVE your drawings! Great interview Rach.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Great interview Rachael. Also Luna your artwork is indeed awesome.

Zan Marie said...

What great artwork and wonderful interview! Thanks, Luna and Rachael

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks for hosting, Luna. It was nice to get to know you better. My book is up for auction too, at Write Hope.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Margo Benson said...

Thank you for a great interview and beautiful artwork - it's always interesting to know more about fellow writers and the WIPs sound fascinating!

Amanda Milner said...

So cool! I loved learning more about Luna! I'm getting more and more excited about Quarantine!! The second WIP sounds awesome too. :) Great "doodles"! I too love to dance, but I have to say it is a terrifying thing to see! hehe.

Brooke R. Busse said...

The pink picture is my favorite.

Alleged Author said...

I've always loved the name Bree.

Anonymous said...

Awesome interview! Her stories seem too cool! And I must agree, her artwork is stunning. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Trisha said...

Great interview, Luna is cool! :D

Adina West said...

Love your artwork Luna - even if it's mostly in the anime style it's still cool. I can't draw well in ANY style!

Jules said...

Fantastic interview, I really enjoyed reading this and especially about the WIP which sound great.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely compliments regarding my doodles and WIPs ^_^
@ Rach I wouldn't call you names if you didn't threaten me :P
@ Kari Marie That's too hard, but Anything Goes has a special place in my heart

Marieke said...

In olden days a glimpse of stocking, was looked on as something shocking, but now, God know, anything goes *grin* (Especially the Torchwood version)

Loved the interview! And yay Write Hope! :D

Misha Gerrick said...

Good interview!

Love your doodles, Luna. Mine are usually as convoluted as my thoughts.

Good luck with your WiPs!

:-)

Anonymous said...

@ Marieke shh!

Anonymous said...

It was fun getting to know more about Luna through the interview. Her artwork is AWESOME, and I think my fav is the pink angel.

Deniz Bevan said...

Great interview! Love your drawings Luna :-)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I don't know if you saw my earlier comment Rach because I entered the flash fiction contest with my 100 word goldfish bowl thingy. Anyways, I also wanted to spam you with another blogger award created by none other than roguemutt over on his blog. You know the drill, cut and paste the pic which has a diamond pacifier on it into your award page (I copied your idea for my blog) if you want it. I can understand though if you don't cause I know you're busy :) Thanks for everything you do and have a fantastic day.

Nas said...

Great interview. I love dancing too, though can't dance. But what's the harm in watching and enjoying. Luna, you draw so beautifully. And No 6 advice is so spot on.

Rachel, thanks for bringing this interview.

BTW, I'm hosting Roland D Yeomans today, who self-published his book THE BEAR WITH TWO SHADOWS and is sharing his journey with us as well as a four book giveaway!

www.nas-dean.blogspot.com

Susan Fields said...

Awesome interview - it was fun to get to know Luna better. Quarantined sounds sooo good! And good luck with the new wip.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME interview!

I agree that getting the right kind of help is essential in learning how to write well.

:D

Natasha Hanova said...

Wonderful interview. Good to get to know fellow bloggers better. And these pics are ripe with emotion. Well done Luna.

Julie Musil said...

Those drawings ARE great. And now I'm super curious about the blog name. No fair to tease us like that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails