I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Monday, March 7, 2011

Random Factoids About...Moi

Last week for my followers celebration I asked whether you had any questions for me, whether there was anything you wanted to know. I had heaps of lovely comments and questions, thanks so much! The questions fell into five different categories (yep, I'm being organized again!): personal, blogging-related, writing-related, Crusade-related, and those relating to time-management. I thought I would do a few different posts to answer most of your questions; today I'll give you some random factoids about me.
  1. Alleged Author asked "Do you have a favorite YA horror book?" - I don't really have a favorite, though anything by Stephen King would have to be pretty high up on my list. And I recently read The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff and also Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves, and loved both of those!
  2. Aun-Juli asked "Do you have a favorite dessert?" - Ooh, that's easy. Pavlova for sure!!! Do you guys have pavlova where you are? 
  3. (Source)
  4. Lisa Potts asked "What song do you secretly love but won't admit it to anyone due to the humiliation it would cause?" - LOL, if I told you I'd have to kill you! I'll give you a little hint, it's an oldie but a goodie. Another hint: I love male/female duets :) 
  5. PK Hrezo said "I wanna know where you live? What part of the world?" - Yep, I'm an Aussie. I lived in Sydney until January of this year, when I moved to Canberra (the capital of Australia but A LOT smaller!). Check out my Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, we'll pack, we'll clean, we'll go... post if you're interested
  6. (Source)
  7. Colene Murphy asked "Favorite book? Favorite writing spot? Favorite writing hour?" - Hmm, favorite book (I have too many to even pick half a dozen, let alone one!). Favorite writing spot (these days I usually write at the dining room table. I used to sit on the couch in the lounge room, but my new lounge room is rather small and dark and cramped!). Favorite writing hour (I get the most writing done mid-morning, and ideally another bit done after lunch. I do most of my blogging in the evenings)
  8. Su asked "What is your earliest memory?" - This may freak some of you out (sorry!), though it's rather a typical scene from the Australian bush. I was 4ish at the time, and was playing on the swing set outside. I looked over to see a huge goanna run across the lawn and climb up a nearby tree. I screamed for my mother to come running, and kept swinging frantically (oops, adverb!!!) until she came to rescue me! Hmm, I've got another early memory involving a snake, though I might save that one until later *grins*
(Source)

30 comments:

Alex Ong said...

I'm thinking the duet could either be "Baby, Come to Me" or "Friends & Lovers".

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

Sully's Scribbles said...

There are so many duets out there, and so many oldies in so many genres! :P

Unknown said...

King is also one of my favorites. As a child, I would have screamed at the lizard sighting as well, and might still today!

Diane said...

Was that goanna looking for a little snack or what??? :O)

Kay L. Davies said...

Next time, feed the goanna some pavlova and he'll love you forever. Don't see pavlova on menus in ordinary Canadian restaurants. Sigh.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Devin Bond said...

Never heard of pavlova, but that picture of it looked good!

Wish I'd seen more reptiles in my youth. That would've been awesome (and terrifying).

Golden Eagle said...

Great questions and answers!

Never had pavlova--although I've definitely heard of it before!

Ann said...

I love Pavlova. They are not familiar with it here....so I make it for every party I have and my guests hail me as a wizard!

Kerri Cuev said...

I would have stayed on the swing if I saw that as a small child also...and also would have kept screaming my head off.

Shari said...

Very fun facts about you!

Anonymous said...

That thing looks pretty big, I'd be scared now too! I can so picture it :)

Brooke R. Busse said...

I read The Replacement recently: here is a review I did of it.

Anonymous said...

These 'factoids' are a fun way to get to know you. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, too. :)
Hmmm, I can't help but try to guess that favorite duet, and wonder if it's "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher. It was the first song that popped into my head. :)

Jules said...

Lovely factoids and I have the same problem with my lounge room. As to the goanna, as a child I probably would have tried to catch it but then I'm a crazy American Hillbilly :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

J.R. Tate said...

Nice blog that gives some clarification! Very cool! :)

Alleged Author said...

Oooh...that Bleeding Violet book sounds good! I will have to check it out. Thanks for answering my question!

Kari Marie said...

King is awesome. A reptile within 10 feet of me would have produced a scream louder than an air horn, especially if I was reading King at the time.

Lacey Devlin said...

LOL! Got to love a good goanna story! I also enjoyed Bleeding Violet but my new favorite is The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting :-)

Abby Minard said...

Love your answers! I"ve never had pavlova. Looks yummy though!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, it was fun to know more about you! I may of had pavlova without knowing it, but it looks really good! :D I don't think I qualify to figure out your humiliating song, I can't think of any duets that would be considered embarrassing. ;)

Anonymous said...

hey, that was fun! but I don't share your love of pav... I'm a rare Aussie I know!

Stefanie J Pristavu said...

Nice! It's always great to get to know people better. And I don't think any oldie but goldie song can be embarrassing! You've made me curious now. I'm a music freak!

Hugs,
Steph

Denise Covey said...

Rach, did you have to mention pavlova? Yum. Was great learning some more about you.

Denise<3

Michelle Merrill said...

Nice answers...I have never had Pavlova, but it looks delicious.

Hart Johnson said...

That pavlova looks FABULOUS! I don't think I've seen that here. and I think those goannas are way cool, though I think as a child, my reaction would have been the same as yours.

Colene Murphy said...

Fun stuff Rachael! Thanks for answering my questions! I bet the dinning room is a lot better than small and dark!

Jess said...

Thanks for the fun facts--that childhood memory sounds scary (for you and your mother too)!

Unknown said...

Ooh, pavlova is YUMMY!!
*having a craving*

Lisa Potts said...

Aww, come on! That's not fair. If I guess you have to tell me. Let's see...

"Almost paradise" - Ann Wilson & Mike Reno
"Stop dragging my heart around" - Tom Petty & Stevie Nicks
"Don't fall in love with a dreamer" - Kim Carnes & Kenny Rogers
"Up where we belong" - Joe Cocker" & Jennifer Warnes

Am I close? : )

Su said...

Wow, I totally forgot about asking! Oops! That is kind of scary for a citified U.S. girl.

My earliest memory has to do with an animal, too. Hmmm... I wonder if that's common?

Related Posts with Thumbnails