I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Friday, March 25, 2011

Second Crusader Challenge Wrap-up, Crusader Notice-Board, and a Question for Crusaders

Challenge Wrap-up

What an awesome Challenge! And 87 entrants, woot! I'm amazed at the different approaches people used for their flash fiction - we've had killer goldfish, goldfish killers, were-goldfish, humans as goldfish, love scenes, magic scenes, and a whole lot more. And all in 100 words!!!

Judging of your entries will get under way soon, and I'll be announcing the winners in next Thursday's post (given the A-Z Challenge starts on Friday). Thanks to everyone who volunteered to be judges, I do appreciate it - as before, you'll still be eligible to win the prizes. We'll be letting people know if they've made it to the final judging round as the week goes by.

Crusader Notice-Board

Check out these great blogfests, contests, and other announcements:
  • don't forget to drop by Write Hope and bid on some of the fabulous auction items, with all money raised going to the Save the Children emergency relief fund for Japan
  • J.C. Martin is calling for submissions for her STORIES FOR SENDAI anthology, edited by herself and Michelle Davidson Argyle. Stories for Sendai is in aid of victims of the Japan earthquake and tsunami, and all proceeds of its sale will go to charity. The deadline for submissions is May 15th, so make sure you submit your stories and help with this great idea
  • Karen (Kar_Took) is calling for submissions for stories and poems for the short fiction anthology she edits called New Writing Dundee. Check here for the official call for submissions. The deadline is 2nd April, so there is still some time to submit for the chance to be published in their anthology
  • Michael is holding a Harry Potter blogfest ... WHO would be your Mates? on March 30th. Make sure you pop over and check it out
  • Katherine Owens is running the I Dig Reading Challenge, where you can pledge to give any amount you like to any charity you like, for every book you read in the year
  • Chenoa Fawn is running a collaborative story based on the surrealist game Cadavre Exquis. Visit her blog until March 31
  • Adriana Kraft is giving away a $10 gift certificate to All Romance E-Books. To enter, leave a comment on any blog post in March

A Question for Crusaders

I know a lot of you are doing the A-Z Challenge, and I'll be doing it myself. Given that, do you want a Crusader Challenge in April, or should we give it a miss??? At this stage I'm thinking I probably won't do one, but I can easily be persuaded otherwise if heaps of you do want another Challenge :) To make it easier (hopefully) to decide, if there is an April Challenge I'll make sure to theme it according to the corresponding alphabet letter for that day, so A-Z Challenge participants can do the one post for both.

26 comments:

Cally Jackson said...

First to comment. Hooray!

I'd love to do another challenge, but I'm not doing the A-Z and understand it might be tricky for people to do both, so happy to go with the majority vote. :)

Rachael Harrie said...

Yay, lucky first Cally!

I've just added the following to my post above: "To make it easier (hopefully) to decide, if there is an April Challenge I'll make sure to theme it according to the corresponding alphabet letter for that day, so A-Z Challenge participants can do the one post for both."

Hugs,

Rach

Trisha said...

Yeah, if we can double up on the challenge and the A-Z that'd be cool:D

Stefanie J Pristavu said...

Damn, all this crusade talk, and I missed entering in the first place :( Better luck next time. Have fun everyone :)

Susan Fields said...

I LOVE the challenges, and I'm not doing A-Z, so I'm all for an April challenge. However, I completely understand if you choose not to do one.

This was really fun - my first attempt at flash fiction! Thanks, Rachael!

Denise Covey said...

I'm all for another challenge. I'm keeping my main blog free of the A - Z (I think.) We love our challenges Rach. I thought the flash fiction stories were amazing. I read HEAPS.

Denise<3

Unknown said...

Crap crappity-crap. I SOOOOO meant to post my entry for the second challenge when I got home last night and I was so tired I TOTALLY forgot. I woke up this morning and was like, wait a sec... today is... Saturday?
Oh, crap.
I'm sorry!
I hardly have anything planned for A-Z (even though it is almost upon us!) so if you want to have another challenge that fits in with whatever the letter is, I think that's great!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog today and will add it to my regular list that I frequent! Your crusade sounds absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for making a terrific blog! Love it so far.

Margo Benson said...

I'd also love another challenge if those doing the A-Z are ok with it (I plan to be a supportive lurker!) I read so many from this one I saw goldfish everywhere!

Danette said...

I am not doing the A-Z either so I and would love another challenge but I think maybe that that is going to be up to you, Rachel since your the one with the greatest amount of work with judging and all... Thanks again for all your hard work with this!

Bess Weatherby said...

Definitely do a challenge. We can just make it the post for the day. I like challenges :)

Margo Berendsen said...

I'm not doing the A-Z challenge but I think that's a great idea, doing the challenge for the letter of the day.

Cherie Reich said...

I am doing the A to Z challenge, but I could fit in a Crusader challenge, too, since I'm almost finished with my A to Z blog posts. I really enjoy these challenges and reading everyone's entries.

Carol Riggs said...

I had fun reading everyone's Challenges (yes, I read them all!). I'm not doing the A to Z, so it doesn't matter to me as far as whether there is another Challenge. Whatever works for you and everyone else. But I see it could perhaps easily be dovetailed into the A to Z. :)

Summer Ross said...

I'm doing A-Z and I'd still be willing to incorporate a challenge- They are such fun!

The Sisterhood said...

I'm not doing A-Z and would be interested in doing an April challenge, but do whatever works best for the majority.

♥ Mary Mary

Ruth Josse said...

New Follower! Saw the Crusader badge on someone else's blog and hunted down yours to see what it was all about:) Awesome idea!

Rachael Harrie said...

Ooh, sounds like most of you want an April Challenge. Okey doke, will put my thinking cap on :)

Hugs,

Rach

Akoss said...

I agree, even though I'm not doing the A to Z challenge.
Making the crusader challenge match the word of the day will certainly make it easy for Crusaders who will be doing the A to Z challenge as well.

Ciara said...

This has been a blast, Rach. Thanks for running this Crusade! It's been great getting to know you. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for running all this Rach, you're a star. Leave it to you if you want another one in April.

Michelle Merrill said...

I'm a tad bit late for answering this question, but I agree with pretty much everyone who commented. I'd love another challenge, but I'm not doing the A-Z either. I understand that it would be harder for those who did sign up for the A-Z, but they knew it would be when they signed up for both. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just thought it would be worth mentioning. I love these challenges :)

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

The last one was tons of fun, and if it fits the A to Z scheme, I'd be up for another! :)

Unknown said...

Heard through the blogvine that my entry might have been shortlisted as a finalist for the goldfish. Seriously, if it's true that's the highlight of my month!

I've read so many, and they're all just brilliant.

Thanks again, Rach, for organizing all of this. I've made so many friends, and the writing and whit I've enjoyed as part of the challenges has been off the charts kinds of fun.

EJ

Matt Collier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I'm not doing A-Z, so I would definitely be up for another challenge!

Related Posts with Thumbnails