I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

WRITE HOPE for Japan

I think by now it’s impossible not to have heard about Japan and everything that’s been happening there. The devastation is overwhelming with so many people dead or missing, entire villages wiped away and the ongoing problems in the nuclear plants. I lived in Japan for a year, and studied the country, culture, and language for nine years, so the tragedy has hit very close to home for me.

With some of the most amazing people in the world (Marieke, Luna (Project Fraeya), Tessa Quin, and Amanda Milner) we formed Write Hope. Right now we’re working hard to set up a charity auction, auctioning off all things kidlit. ARCs, books, critiques, swag. Donations are stacking up and we’ve only just started!

Visit WRITE HOPE and meet our fantastic mascot Nozomi:


Over the next couple of days we’ll post details of the auction on the blog: the when, the how, the what.

Write Hope is a very proud sponsor of the Save the Children emergency relief fund for Japan.

Please, please help. Spread the word. Follow along at Write Hope. Take part in the auction. Spread the word.

As we said on Write Hope: Together we can move mountains.

Thank you!

26 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Oops, I comment on the link. And thank you for the info, Rach. I'm following.

Grandpa said...

What a noble idea. I'm not Japanese but I'm so moved by this thoughtful initiative. God bless you and your team Rach.

Jules said...

You are a golden soul! I will spread the word for sure. Many blessings for this act of humanity!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jeanmarie Anaya said...

Haven't got a whole lot followers (*yet*) but I'd love to spread the word on my blog. My grandmother was from Japan (Yokohama) so the cause is near and dear to my Asian heart. :)

Kari Marie said...

I'll spread the word as well.

Jayne said...

Rach - What a wonderful idea! I'll pass this information along. I just wrote about Japan today, after days trying to wrap my head around this disaster, and really, not even knowing what to say. I can only imagine how those people are feeling.
You do great work here, and I wish you the best with this! I'll be checking back for more info.

Anonymous said...

Amazing idea! I would be devastated if I woke up and my whole future was completely changed, everything I had was taken away by one wave. It makes you realize that anything bad can happen to us, too. Japan isn't the only one.

J.L. Campbell said...

Sounds like a great plan.

Michelle Merrill said...

What a great idea. You guys are amazing! Thanks for leading us writer's in the right step to make a difference :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Wonderful idea. I don't have a huge following, but I will certainly mention it. Keep us posted on follow-up details!

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

What a fabulous idea! I'll definitely spread the word!

Anonymous said...

This is lovely!!!!!!

N. R. Williams said...

I am offering a copy of my e-book. Left a message over on the Write Hope blog. I'll add this to my post as well.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium, Special .99 through April 30

Coreene Callahan said...

Great idea. I'm following now!

Nas said...

I'll help spread the word.

Nas said...

I'll help spread the word.

Anonymous said...

Just shared it on FB, thanks Rach!

erica and christy said...

We'll put it on our blog tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful

*Applauds*

Bravo, ladies...

J.R. Tate said...

It is refreshing to read a blog about Japan... Thanks for this. :)

Jeigh said...

Rachael, you inspire me with the way you reach out to others. I'll link to this blog and do what I can. Thanks for being so awesome!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Awesome post Rachael. I don't have anything to donate but I'll participate in the auction.

Donea Lee said...

What a fantastic, generous and heart-warming endeavor! I hope you have much success with it and thank you! :) Hopping over to check it out, now ~

Len Lambert said...

What a great idea, Rach. There are no words to describe my feelings for Japan. I have a friend who lives there with her family and I can only hope that they continue to be safe.

Unknown said...

This is such a super idea. Well done to you guys who've put it together. The devastation in Japan is just something else... And all the footage I've seen on TV.. Wow, I mean it must have just been terrifying.

Adina West said...

This sounds like a wonderful initiative - great that you are doing something so positive in the face of such tragedy.

I also have many friends in Japan, and what has happened and is continuing to happen is heartbreaking.

I'll definitely mention this in my next post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails