I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Monday, February 21, 2011

A little light humor...(writing quotes)

(Source)
Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure.
More funny Oliver Herford quotes

Only a mediocre writer is always at his best.
More funny W. Somerset Maugham quotes

With sixty staring me in the face, I have developed inflammation of the sentence structure and definite hardening of the paragraphs.
More funny James Thurber quotes

The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.
More funny Mark Twain quotes

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
More funny Andrew Jackson quotes

Writing is learning to say nothing, more cleverly every day.
More funny William Allingham quotes

The writer probably knows what he meant when he wrote a book, but he should immediately forget what he meant when he's written it.
More funny William Golding quotes

A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction.
More funny William Faulkner quotes

(Source)
If writers were good businessmen, they'd have too much sense to be writers.
More funny Irvin S. Cobb quotes

It's a damn good story. If you have any comments, write them on the back of a check.
More funny Erle Stanley Gardner quotes

Writing is pretty crummy on the nerves.
More funny Paul Theroux quotes

The secret of good writing is to say an old thing in a new way or to say a new thing in an old way.
More funny Richard Harding Davis quotes

And all writing is creating or spinning dreams for other people so they won't have to bother doing it themselves.
More funny Beth Henley quotes

A young musician plays scales in his room and only bores his family. A beginning writer, on the other hand, sometimes has the misfortune of getting into print.
More funny Marguerite Yourcenar quotes

(Source)
When I was a little boy, they called me a liar, but now that I am grown up, they call me a writer.
More funny Isaac Bashevis Singer quotes

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.
More funny Agatha Christie quotes

For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.
More funny Ernest Hemingway quotes



Source

28 comments:

Diane said...

Erle's was my favorite. Fun line up! :O)

Margo Benson said...

Funny! I liked all of them :-)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Some great quotes there! Thanks for sharing them.

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Love these:)

Zan Marie said...

Sam Clemons was my favorite to use when teaching essay writing to AP History students. It made them more careful...and my grading time easier. ; )

Erin said...

Great quotes! I especially like the lightning one. So true. Thank you for sharing and making me smile!

Anonymous said...

Great quotes, Rachael. I've appreciated your blog and what you've done to help all of us get help with our online platform. I've awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. I have it posted on my web site now.

I've met some really interesting people I never would have thanks to you. Thank you very much. It's been a lot of work but worth it.

Sarah Ketley said...

made me giggle :-)

thanks!!

Grandpa said...

That's what I'm trying to do now Rach - spinning dreams for others. I like the one by Isaac Bashevis Singer too. Thanks for this Rach.

Jess said...

These all made me smile, but I think I like the Andrew Jackson one best~ thanks!

Unknown said...

Love the Mark Twain quote!

PT Dilloway said...

ha ha.

Bluestocking said...

Hardening of the paragraphs... Love it!

obi said...

this is a great selection, thanks ;)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great quotes - thanks for sharing :)

J.L. Campbell said...

I needed to lighten my mood. This was a great help. Thanks!

Regina said...

Those were great. Thanks for the post. :D

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I have an iPad application that does famous quotes.

Kay L. Davies said...

I particularly enjoyed the James Thurber quote about 60, and the Mark Twain one about the lightning and the lightning bug. I've copied them, to give me a smile when I'm struggling with writing, which, these days, seems to be a full-time job.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Devin Bond said...

Awesome quotes. Mark Twain always has some of my favorite.

Stasia said...

Heehee! Thanks for a great laugh!

Will Burke said...

Love it! Especially the RH Davis quote. The Agatha Christie really rang true; there's nothing like a monotonous task to set the wheels a-turning! PS I've hit a limit with 300 Follows on my Blogger Dashboard, is there a way around this?

Colene Murphy said...

Ha! I love them! Awesome quote choices!

Ann said...

I liked Isaac Bashevis Singer quote the best. It made me laugh.It sounded so familiar!

Denise Covey said...

I'm mad for quotes and some of these had me rolling around the floor. I especailly like:

A young musician plays scales in his room and only bores his family. A beginning writer, on the other hand, sometimes has the misfortune of getting into print.

Ha de ha ha ha!

Denise:)

L.A. Colvin said...

I did a couple of these today. I didn't realize you had done it a few days ago. Great minds think a like. LOL Well ok maybe one great mind and I don't know what I'd call myself. :)

MTeacress said...

I like these quotes. Thanks for stopping by my blog. While reading your profile, I was reminded of a horror class I recently attended where I learned how fun it is to scare people who want to be scared. :)

Health is Wealth said...

Great quotes collection. Thanks a lot for doing like this job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails