I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Friday, October 1, 2010

First Crusader Challenge – Writers’ Platform-Building Crusade

A couple of weeks ago, I kicked off my Writers' Platform-Building Crusade, a way for aspiring writers and beginner bloggers to network together, support each other, build their online platforms, and have fun with their blogging.

We'd love you to join us - simply check out my original post, follow the instructions, and leave a comment in that post with a link to your own post. There's a list of Crusaders on my blog sidebar (check them out if you want), and I'll add you to the list when you join.

And now, it's time for our First Crusader Challenge!!!

(*Drumroll*)

And the challenge is...

Write a Crusader Challenge post beginning with the phrase, "I sat down to write the other day and..."

The rest is up to you. You can use the piece to introduce yourself, tell us what inspires you to write, tell a funny story, or anything really. So be creative and let’s see what you come up with.

And...a Crusader Challenge just isn’t the same without a grand prize. So, given I’m about to start featuring aspiring writers in some of my Insider Scoop interviews on Rach Writes..., how about I give the winner the chance to be my first victim...ah, I mean, interviewee. Cool prize for an online platform-builder, no?

Ah, “How do we find out who wins?” you ask.

Well...let’s work it on a points system:
  • I’ve written a Crusader Challenge post beginning with the words, "I sat down to write the other day and..." and I’ve commented in this post with a link to my own post (+100 points)
  • I’ve included the completely random words “quidditch,” “Mars,” and “elephant” in my Crusader Challenge post (+40 points) – there has to be a bit of a challenge for you! :)
  • In my Crusader Challenge post, I’ve included a link back to this post and told everyone about the Crusade and the Crusader Challenge (+20 points)
  • I’m following all my fellow Crusaders (as listed on the Rach Writes... sidebar) on their blogs (+20 points)
  • I’ve included all my fellow Crusaders in a blog roll / list on my blog (+20 points)
If it comes down to a tie, I’ll pop my favorite posts in a new post on Rach Writes... and call for votes on the winner (and I’ll make the final decision if the voting is inconclusive).

Entries will close next Friday October 8, so make sure you comment in this post before then and leave us the link to your Crusader Challenge post plus how many points you earned.

Have fun!!! Check out the other Crusaders’ posts and comment along. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

27 comments:

Tessa Quin said...

Oooh, exciting! I only have one problem with following all. I've followed all that have a follow option...some don't have that. What do I do then?

Rachael Harrie said...

No problems, just follow those you can. Can't wait to see what you write about :)

A Pen In Neverland: Angela Peña Dahle said...

I already finished writing my post. Just waiting to POST it. This was a fun challenge for me! I love using my imagination!

Patricia A. Timms-McGehee said...

Great challenge. I totally missed the points system this morning when I sat down to write so I missed out on the key words, but hey, next time I'll get it right.

By the end of tonight I will have all the points except for adding the fun words to my blog. But, I don't want to say my points until I've gone back and finished the last couple on the list. I'll be back to post my points.

Oh yeah, and here's my post link:

http://gypsyrozpoetry.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-sat-down-to-write-other-day.html

Rachael Harrie said...

@Angela, can't wait to read.

@Patricia, no problems. (You could always pop those words into your post if you wanted to edit...) :)

Christie Wright Wild said...

So does the person with the most points win, or is it a type of drawing?

Rachael Harrie said...

Assuming a few of you get the max number of points, I'll choose a shortlist and we can vote on the winner... :)

erica and christy said...

We were busy bees last week and already wrote drafts for this week's posts. We'll try to fit this one in on Friday and will let you know if we do!

To thank you (again) for this Crusade, we left you an award on our blog. Come by if you have the time!
erica and christy
http://lynneawest.blogspot.com/

Serena said...

Ive written my post wich is scheduled to go live on the 6th! I hope that you get a giggle ot of it. I certainly did when i was writing it. I recon that i have 160 points. Thanks i had fun doing this challenge looking forward to the next one!!

Megan K. Bickel said...

My post is up!

http://www.megankbickel.blogspot.com/

I think I get all of the points!

Rachael Harrie said...

@Erica and Christy, hope you can fit your post in. Thanks so much for the award!!! :)

@Serena, can't wait to read it. Glad you enjoyed the challenge :)

@Megan, love your post - so funny and very clever use of the random challenge words. Well done you!!! You're in the lead points-wise so far...

A Pen In Neverland: Angela Peña Dahle said...

I'm having an issue with my post. I might have to get permission for a section of it. If I can then it WILL be posted. If not, I either have to change it or not post at all. Oh but what fun I had with it!

Su said...

Ta-daa! That might be a bit dramatic. :) By my count, I have all 200 points: http://cheekyness.blogspot.com/2010/10/crusader-challenge-1.html

Patricia A. Timms-McGehee said...

I'm back with my points. I never did revise mine to fit the challenge words I totally skipped (I should read more carefully, lol). But I have completed the rest of the challenge. I have 160 points and a bunch of new followers thanks to you!

Bast said...

I'll be posting mine on Friday. I'll stop back in with the link and my points.

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

This was fun, Rachael. :)

I've got mine up at http://alisonstevens.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-sat-down-to-write-other-day-and.html, I see a few new crusaders that I need to follow, which I'll do now. And that should give me a full 200 points.

A Pen In Neverland: Angela Peña Dahle said...

Okay here is link to my post for the challenge:

http://a-pen-in-neverland.blogspot.com/2010/10/woeful-workshop-wednesday.html

I'm following those blogs which have a follow option and I will be posting My Crusader List today on my blog. So yeah that will be the full 200 points for me. Thanks for all the fun Rach!

Miles McG said...

Here's my post:

http://milesmcg.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-sat-down-to-write-other-day-and.html

It's rather weird, but oh well. :) I had a ton of fun writing it!

As Alison said, I see a few new Crusaders that I need to follow, which I'll do immediately after this. Once I'm following them and have them up on my blog roll, I should be at the full 200 points.

Thanks for this great first contest!

Marieke said...

I will add the blog roll before the end of the week, need to figure out if it will just be a links list, or a feed and am too knackered for that now. :D

But when that's up, full points for me too!

Post can be found here: http://www.mariekenijkamp.com/musings/?p=326 Loved writing this!

Tessa Quin said...

Done, done, and done! 200 Points. But my story sucks, because I didn't really have time to write it. So I'm just taking part, as opposed to being in it to win it ;)

http://tessyquin.blogspot.com/2010/10/crusader-challenge-i.html

Marieke said...

The blogroll is now up too! I think that's full points! :D

Rachael Harrie said...

It's great to see everyone taking part in the First Crusader Challenge. I've loved reading all your posts :)

I'll write a summary post of all entries (+ points + shortlist of winners) over the next few days so everyone can check them out and vote for the winner.

So make sure you leave me a comment with the link and your points if you haven't already...Entries close midnight Friday :)

erica and christy said...

Ours will be up in the am. We started following and a blog roll, but it isn't up to date, so 160 points for us. We've had a lot of fun (and laughs) emailing ours back-and-forth, thanks for the idea (even though we can't win with everyone else at top points).

http://lynneawest.blogspot.com/

Bast said...

Here's the link to my post Rachael:

http://seeingdreamingwriting.blogspot.com/2010/10/kick-em-when-theyre-down.html

I got all the points (200).

Unknown said...

Despite technology failures and disruptions, my crazy crusader post is UP!

http://rachelmorganwrites.blogspot.com/

200 points :-)

Denise Covey said...

I missed this by a day but I'll be looking out for the next one..:)

Unknown said...

Menghilangkan Bekas Koreng Yang Sudah Lama

Obat Pembersih Nikotin Di Paru Paru
Obat Salep Bisul Bernanah Di Kepala Anak
Obat Fistula Ani

Related Posts with Thumbnails