I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My A-Z of Writing Tips: Passion

(Source)
Practice your writing skills

Persevere and keep writing no matter what

Prepare as much as possible before you submit

Passion is what it’s all about

How about you: Which do you think is most important? 

Crusader Challenge Heads-up

I'll be holding my final Crusader Challenge on Friday, April 22nd. The theme of the Challenge will be related to the letter S (it has to be "Show not Tell" of course!), so A-Z Challenge entrants can combine both posts if they wish to enter my Crusader Challenge as well. Those who aren't Crusaders are very welcome to take part. This month's Challenge is just for fun, so there won't be any judging or prizes.

I've posted the Challenge below, so you have a few days to come up with your entry. All entries should be posted on Friday, April 22nd. As soon as you've posted, pop back to Rach Writes... and leave the direct link to your entry in the Linky Link tool, which I'll include in my April 22nd post.

Show Not Tell Crusader Challenge: In 300 words or less, write a passage (it can be an excerpt from your WIP, flash fiction, a poem, or any other writing) that shows (rather than tells) the following:
  • you're scared and hungry
  • it's dusk
  • you think someone is following you
  • and just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: shimmer, saccadic, substance, and salt.
Can't wait to see what you come up with on April 22nd!


13 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree that it's all about the passion! The challenge looks like a lot of fun. Great idea!

mooderino said...

Persevere - that's the one I hang on to. Got to keep writing. No point wanting to be published if you haven't got a polished product.

mood
Moody Writing

Paula Martin said...

THey're all important, but if you aren't Passionate about your writing, then you probably won't succeed with the other 'p's'.

Rosalind Adam said...

I guess we're all pretty passionate about writing with masses of perseverance to be doing this crazy challenge in the first place! ;-)

Unknown said...

Passion is what it's about. If I wasn't passionate I probably wouldn't persist... but I do.

Cally Jackson said...

Short, simple and spot on. Love it!

I wrote my response to the crusader challenge last night. Can't wait to share it! (I'm pretty sure I haven't already told you that, but if I have, just take this as proof that I'm uber excited!)

crystal said...

Passion is number one! And that goes for a lot of things in life - if the feeling isn't there, there isn't much point in forcing yourself to do it!

Bish Denham said...

The most important thing for me is perseverance.

Donea Lee said...

Perserverance is sooo important! And should be a cinch for a passionate writer. If you love what you do, really - you'll never abandon it.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

No prize? lame. I like prizes.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Perseverance is so important especially in today's writing world. And to be passionate about it will get you where you want to go....

Alleged Author said...

Now that sounds like quite the challenge!

Ann said...

Thanks for your encouraging words Rachael. I really appreciate it. Perseverance....indeed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails