I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Friday, April 15, 2011

My A-Z of Writing Tips: Motto (Plus my Crusader Challenge Heads-up)

(Source)
I’ve never had a motto before, but every writer needs one, don’t you think? Here's the one I’ve decided to adopt:

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will either find a way or I will make one."

How about you: Do you have a writing motto? It doesn't need to be in Latin of course!


Crusader Challenge Heads-up

I'll be holding my final Crusader Challenge on Friday, April 22nd. The theme of the Challenge will be related to the letter S (it has to be "Show not Tell" of course!), so A-Z Challenge entrants can combine both posts if they wish to enter my Crusader Challenge as well. Those who aren't Crusaders are very welcome to take part. This month's Challenge is just for fun, so there won't be any judging or prizes.

I've posted the Challenge below, so you have a week to come up with your entry. All entries should be posted on Friday, April 22nd. As soon as you've posted, pop back to Rach Writes... and leave the direct link to your entry in the Linky Link tool, which I'll include in my April 22nd post.

Show Not Tell Crusader Challenge: In 300 words or less, write a passage (it can be an excerpt from your WIP, flash fiction, a poem, or any other writing) that shows (rather than tells) the following:
  • you're scared and hungry
  • it's dusk
  • you think someone is following you
  • and just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: shimmer, saccadic, substance, and salt.
Can't wait to see what you come up with on April 22nd!

Third Writers' Platform-Building Crusade

I'm excited to announce my Third Writers' Platform-Building Crusade will run from August 22, 2011 to October 31, 2011! Put a note in your calenders to come back to Rach Writes... on August 22nd (or soon afterwards) to sign up, because I'll be closing the List of Crusaders on August 31st!


27 comments:

Jordan said...

Some of my favorite Latin mottoes are Esse quam videri (To be rather than to seem, motto of the state of North Carolina [AKA HOME]) and In ardua tendit (I attempt the heights. Or she attempts the heights.) I like yours!

Off to think about the challenge!

Denise Covey said...

Boo hoo, sounds so sad, the final crusader challenge (just for this year I hope.) It sounds a great challenge.

Denise<3

Jordan McCollum said...

(Oh, In ardua tendit is the MacCallum clan motto.)

Summer Ross said...

Akuna matata? lol I'll see what I can come up with for the challenge

Rachael Harrie said...

@Denise, yep, the final Crusader Challenge just for this Crusade. I'll be running my Third Crusade in August, and we'll have lots more then :)

Hugs,

Rach

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

I guess I do have a motto: No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. (from Edmund Burke ).

Hmm. Can't pull something out of my WIP to meet those criteria, but I'll see what I can come up with for the challenge. :)

Grandpa said...

Rach, for a moment I thought you were talking about Vietnam there.. :)

Thanks for telling me (complete with a great example) about the "show not tell" thingy the other day. Now I understand.

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

Paula Martin said...

No idea who said it, but this one sticks in my mind: For a writer, 'That'll do' is not an option.

J.C. Martin said...

My motto, translated to Latin by Google, is:

Asino sede opus oculos

It means: "Ass in chair, eyes on work". :)

What a great prompt and a wonderful Crusader Challene finale! I was so inspired I've already written mine! Looking forward to sharing it on the 22nd! :)

Cally Jackson said...

Oooh another challenging chalenge! Can't wait to come up with a response. :-)

Crystal said...

My personal writing motto is... just write! Lol... I will definitely be taking part in the challenge since non-crusader types are allowed, and I will definitely be here bright n' early August 22nd!! :-)

Unknown said...

Cool, looking forward to next Friday's posts for the last challenge :-)

I will not forget this time.
I will not forget this time.
I will not forget this time.
I will not...

Jaydee Morgan said...

A good motto for me would be: Stop talking about it and just do it!

Kerri Cuev said...

Nice motto! I like Carpe Diem -Sieze the day :)

Woza that is going to be a tough challange. I better start brainstorming.

Cherie Reich said...

I love your writing motto. I don't really have one.

Looking forward to the third challenge. It'll be fun. *grins*

Rosalind Adam said...

I suppose a writer's motto needs to be 'If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again.' But that's a cliche so maybe my motto should be 'Keep on writing'.

Ann said...

A motto...what a wonderful idea. Will have to mull over this one.

Zan Marie said...

Got to love the Latin! (Besides I taught the language for a while. ; ) Ad Gloriam Dei To the Glory of God from whom comes all words great and small.

Margo Berendsen said...

I am so glad you are doing Crusaders again, I loved getting to really know my group, and some other crusaders as well.

My motto is borrowed from CS lewis:

You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.

I really like your motto, too.

jkraus8464 said...

I don't have a motto but from my Latin days I recall Caesar's words, "Veni, vidi, vici." I came, I saw, I conquered. I kind of like the alliteration in it. It's all about alliteration these days for me. So VVV it is.

Anonymous said...

'Pulvis et Umbra Sumus' - We are but dust and shadow. It reminds me not to get too worked up about things!

I have an award for you :)

http://thoughtsmusingsandbrokenpromises.blogspot.com/2011/04/awards.html

Chris K. said...

I guess my motto is, never refuse a challenge - except when it's an impossible challenge, I guess.

And I have a little challenge of my own for all Crusaders - to sign up for a Crusader critque exchange or Crusader's writing circle! I'm volunteering to try to organize these for anybody who's interested, so head on over to The Kelworth Files to let me know if you're taking up the Critiquing challenge!

Lacey Devlin said...

I don't have a moto but I really like yours, Rach.

Wendy@FabNouveau said...

I also have to think hard over this one. I think a Motto is brilliant. I look forward to the challenge thank you Rach.

Maria Cisneros Toth Blog said...

I adopted a writer's motto several years ago... "Write with No Fear." Meaning never to cenosr myself as I'm writing.

erica and christy said...

I've seen some great mottos around the blogosphere, but haven't adopted one for myself yet. Thanks for the heads up. We'll be in this one!!! christy

Donea Lee said...

I don't have a writing motto...yet. :) A great idea to adopt one, though. And the final challenge sounds like a great one! Thanks so much for hosting the Crusade!

Related Posts with Thumbnails