I write stuff for kids...and muse on writing, children's books, and the publishing industry in general

Monday, August 8, 2011

What's involved in being a Campaigner?

For those of you who haven't taken part in a Campaign (previously called "Crusades") before, I thought I would write a post letting you know what to expect before my Third Campaign kicks off on August 22nd.

In a nutshell, my Writers' Platform-Building Campaign is a way for you to meet your fellow bloggers and get to know them better, while at the same time getting support in your blogging. It's also a way for you to increase your followers (though please don't join just for that, this is about networking and platform-building rather than increasing follower numbers)

The Campaigners are people who genuinely want to meet others, pay it forward, and make connections with other bloggers. This therefore gives you a pool of bloggers (some starting out, some established) who you know are in the same position. You can make friends, find critique partners, get support in your writing etc etc - basically, it's up to you. For those bloggers who are just starting out (and even those who've been blogging for a while), the Campaign gives you a head start in finding other like-minded bloggers to connect with.

Campaigners will join Groups based on genres (and a few other fun things), and there will be Campaigner Challenges for everyone to take part in as well. And there'll be a badge (with a new design, woot!) to put up on your blog as well.

If you want to become a Campaigner:

Keep an eye out for my post on Monday August 22nd and follow the directions. Remember to join between August 22nd and August 31st, because I'll be closing the List of Campaigners on August 31st so Campaigners can get to know each other better.

Once you are a Campaigner:
  • follow other Campaigner in your Group(s), pop round to their blogs, and introduce yourself
  • if you wish, pop round to some or all of the other Campaigners and introduce yourself as well
  • join in on the Twitter chat at #amcampaigning
  • join in on the Yahoo Campaigner Group
  • keep an eye out for the Campaigner Notice-Board on Fridays, where I'll post about blogfests and other announcements concerning Campaigners
  • put the Campaigner button on your blog sidebar and link it back to my Writers' Platform-Building Campaign page at the top of Rach Writes...
  • keep an eye out for posts by other Campaigners in your Campaign Group, and do your best to comment on as many as you can, as often as you can. This is one of the key ways Campaigners will help each other out and pay it forward
  • join in the Campaigner Challenges if you wish. It's a great way to get to know the other Crusaders and have fun at the same time, and there'll be prizes too!
Can't wait to see you all in the Third Campaign!!!

    46 comments:

    Mary Mary said...

    I'm looking forward to the new campaign and to see what challenges you come up with this time around! Should be fun!

    Unknown said...

    Good luck with your third campaign, Rachael!

    Sarah Ketley said...

    I'm in to... just have to remember to come back and sign up!

    Thanks for organizing this Rach!

    mooderino said...

    I missed the last one, will try to remember this time.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    Anonymous said...

    Exciting. Can't wait. It's such a great idea Rach.
    I was busy/ill last time so didn't get too fully involved as I should have done. I don't plan to do the A-Z challenge this year so I can give the Camipaigners more of my attention. :O)

    Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

    I'm definitely in on this. I had a lot of fun during the last crusade and I met nearly everyone that I am friends with now from doing this on Rachael's blog.

    Holly Vance said...

    I can't wait. I've been trying to join the campaginer group for a while!

    Michael Di Gesu said...

    Yay Rach,

    It looks like a fun and exciting new Campaign! Hmmm. I wonder what challenges you have in store for us this time.

    Golden Eagle said...

    I can't wait for this campaign! :)

    G.M. said...

    Never been to your campaign, so will check it out.

    Christa Desir said...

    I might just be up for giving this one a try. Thanks, Rach. It's a great idea.

    Kerri Cuev said...

    Yay! Can't wait Rach!

    Anonymous said...

    Looking forward to it!

    Unknown said...

    Wow, glad I caught these Campaign posts in time before it all started. Feels like it's been ages since I "spoke" to you! (I think it has... I've been living under a rock called Inanda Seminary...). Now I just have to watch I don't slip up and say "Crusade" :-)

    Jules said...

    I'm really looking forward to signing up for this! :D

    KM Nalle said...

    Good luck with your third crusade Rach. I'm sitting this one out, but I look forward to reading all the fun that ensues!

    Len Lambert said...

    Looking forward! :)

    Cindy said...

    I met some great people last time, so I'm in!

    Kelley said...

    This sounds awesome. Can't wait :)

    laughingwolf said...

    good stuff, rachael... have it noted on paper scrap :)

    Theresa Milstein said...

    Rachael, I'm looking forward to another chance at meeting buddies through your blog!

    trump said...

    Id like to invite you folks to come to Amish Stories for a recipe for "Famous Pennsylvania Dutch Sticky Cinnamon Buns" along with a book signing schedule for Amish fiction writer Wanda Brunstetter for Pennsylvania and Ohio as well as a contest to meet her. I hope everyone so far is having a great weekend. Thanks everyone. Richard from Amish Stories.

    Unknown said...

    One more sleep! (as we used to say when we were kids ;-))

    Heather said...

    This sounds like so much fun! I missed it last time. :( But not this time, I'll be back tomorrow!

    Trisha said...

    Your Crusade was awesome fun, so I will definitely be in on your Campaign!! I assume sign-ups aren't up yet??

    Raquel Byrnes said...

    Can't wait! Looking forward to the challenges and blogger buddies.

    K said...

    Yay! I just finished completing my membership and am excited to check out the other writers in my group (Adult Fiction)! This is going to be a great experience. Thank you :)

    Kristy K. James said...

    If this is a repeat, I apologize, but I don't see the post. I am very much looking forward to participating in the Writers’ Platform-Building Campaign for the first time!

    Missi Morris said...

    First time campaign for me. I'm excited to meet new people!

    Abby Fowers said...

    This is a first for me and I am so excited to hear about it. I love meeting other writers and the support of the writing community! :)

    Alleged Author said...

    Hooray!

    Susan Oloier said...

    Rachel, This is awesome. I am off to register now. Thanks for the opportunity to connect with others.

    Heidi said...

    I'm on board!

    The Writing Well said...

    Whew!!!
    Finally just got done with all the steps to join this exciting campaign. I have no idea what I just signed up for but I'm nervous & excited all at once.

    Ronald L. Smith said...

    I'm in! Looking forward to spreading the writerly goodness!

    Sheta Kaey said...

    I'd love to see some links added to this post, like to the Yahoo Group and to the buttons, etc.

    Rachael Harrie said...

    Sheta, this is an old post, which I wrote before the Third Campaign began. The links are in my Third Campaign post, at http://rachaelharrie.blogspot.com/2011/08/third-writers-platform-building.html

    Hugs,

    Rach

    Katrina said...

    How intense is this? I'd love to join, but I'm already feeling stretched thin as it is, and I'd hate to commit and discover I can't keep up. Help!??

    Rachael Harrie said...

    Cat, it's really up to you as to how much involvement you want to have. I ask at a minimum that you follow your Group members and try to comment on their blogs regularly, but other than that everything is voluntary. You don't even need to take part in the Campaigner Challenges, though those are heaps of fun :)

    Hope this helps.

    Hugs,

    Rach

    Carole St-Laurent said...

    Rachael,

    That is such a great idea. I love the writer's community. Without it, I would have abandoned eons ago.

    Amadan said...

    I just heard about this over on SheWrites. My blog has been on hiatus while I finish my novel, but I'd definitely be interested in a 4th campaign if it happens.

    Elana Johnson said...

    I am very excited about this! I've been off the radar for a while, and I'm ready to jump back in with both feet!

    Robbi Sommers Bryant said...

    DRAT! I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN THIS A.M. ANYWAY I CAN SQUEEZE IN?

    ROBBI SOMMERS BRYANT
    BLOG:
    THE CARNIVAL IN MY MIND.http://bit.ly/kGoPhG

    Website: www.robbibryant.com

    Liza said...

    Wish I had found this sooner!

    donna galanti said...

    What a great event you have put together ! I hope to get on board with the one that starts in February. Hope its a great time!

    Jessica G. said...

    Seems like every cool new blog I discover has one of your Campaigner badges! I am bummed I missed out on the opportunity…looking forward to the next one!

    Related Posts with Thumbnails